Monday, November 29, 2010

55th All Japan Yoshinkan Embu

第55回全日本養神館合気道演武大会

We are given 2 minutes to do these demos, 2 minutes comes out of so much minutes of practice...
I don't dislike nor love doing this embu thing, to be honest...but it sure gives something we can take home when its done...and its every time, I guarantee...; )


I started training Yoshinkan Aikido in the summer of 2004, came onto the mat without knowing a thing about it...and now, 6 years later...I was representing a dojo to fill the spot for Instructors' demo for the teachers who unfortunately weren't available on this day.

Of course, I wouldn't hide the fact I trained insanely to get here...it wasn't an easy way to come, but it was surely worth the way.

And this demonstration, it's an annual event for all Yoshinkan Aikido world. I have been participating since 2005, and it was my 6th! Yet the first time participating not as a student, I wouldn't talk much about the pressure I was feeling here though, but there was...a lot!)

Anyway, I had to give the demo as instructors way...It was so different!! It was so hard to make the difference!! I did not know what to expect when teachers asked (or told...) me to fill their spot for them...

The biggest difference I find is the mind set. The different mind set shows the different attitude and all that..., but let's stick to this one big difference for now.

As a student, I always thought the only thing to do is just whatever you can push out from what you got. But as an instructor, you are supposed to show how you manage/control the mat, you can't be the follower, you have to lead whats going on. And of course, the throws has to have a meaning, even for the demo set...

What I figured what I needed to learn was how to look scary, how to keep the intent, the mind/attitude that I lead whats happening in this 2 minutes...

Taking videos so many times and watching how I move did help a big deal...When its really over, I felt relieved (not making mistakes!) and yet I could have done it better at the same time. This feeling, "I could have done it better", is one of the motivation you can carry home to get better, I think ;)


No comments: